Diagnostic Imaging – Bone Density Testing
As part of our comprehensive women’s health services, we offer state-of-the-art bone density scans in our Diagnostic Imaging Center. This painless, non-invasive procedure screens for osteoporosis, a bone-weakening disease that causes bone fractures.
Bone Density Scans
- Non-invasive, painless procedure; uses X-ray to measure calcium and other bone minerals
- Measure bone density in hip, spine, wrist to check for osteoporosis
- Helps determine risk of breaking bones before a break occurs
What to expect during a bone density scan
- You will lie on a comfortable table with legs raised and supported. If you are having wrist/forearm scanned, you will sit alongside the machine
- Long “arm” of machine passes over area to be scanned
- Procedure takes only a few minutes to complete
A Radiologist examines the results of the scan and sends a report to your referring physician. Reports are sent to physicians within a few days of the procedure.