Westerly Hospital provides comprehensive and compassionate cancer care delivered by a team of expert board certified physicians.
- Robert Legare, MD, Board Certified in Oncology/Hematology; Assistant Professor at Brown University, was named among one of the nation’s “Top Docs” by U.S. News and World Report
- Rebecca Vanasse-Passas, MD, Board Certified in Oncology/Hematology, Palliative and Hospice Care
Genetic screening is offered by our medical oncologists, Dr. Robert Legare, and Dr. Rebecca Vanasse-Passas, at their offices located at 11 Wells Street in Westerly.
Laboratory and Pathology Services
Westerly Hospital’s laboratory provides timely and accurate test results which is a vital part of sound clinical decision-making.
- Our laboratory is equipped with state-of-the-art instrumentation and information management technology.
- Our laboratory is staffed by a skilled and highly qualified team of managers, medical technologists, technicians and phlebotomists.
- Our Department of Pathology is staffed with board-certified pathologists.
- Our laboratory and pathology services are accredited by the College of American Pathologists and the Joint Commission, and participate in extensive internal and external quality control programs.
Westerly Hospital’s Diagnostic Imaging Department offers the best in technology and clinical expertise delivered with compassion, care and respect. Our highly skilled staff is registered and licensed, and performs complex exams using the latest imaging techniques and technology.
Patients also benefit from the broad experience of our board certified, fellowship-trained radiologists who are equipped with a comprehensive range of technologies including:
- A new “128 slice” CT Scan machine which captures high-quality imaging with lower doses of radiation.
- “Automated Whole Breast Ultrasound” screenings – a cutting-edge form of breast cancer screening that can detect even extremely small cancers in women with dense breasts tissue which can obscure a radiologist’s ability to detect small abnormalities, with the dense breast tissue appearing the same white color as a suspicious mass.
- PET/CT Scan
- Gamma Imaging
- Digital Mammography
- Breast MRI
- Bone Density Scanner
- X-Ray Radiology
Lung Cancer Screening
Westerly Hospital’s Diagnostic Imaging department offers Lung Cancer screenings with a low dose CT scanner. Annual lung cancer screenings are covered by Medicare patients who are 55 to 77 years of age, and who are either current smokers or quit smoking in the previous 15 years, who have a 30 pack year history (30 pack history equals the number of packs a day multiplied by years smoking), and who have a written order from a physician or qualified non-physician practitioner.
For information on lung cancer screening, call the Diagnostic Imaging department at 401-348-3291.
To ensure the best outcome possible for our cancer patients, Westerly Hospital has General Tumor Board and a Breast Cancer Tumor Board both of which are comprised of a dedicated team of physicians who meet regularly to review and discuss specific patient cases.
Both boards are comprised of a multi-disciplinary team of specialists including oncologists, surgeons, radiologists and pathologists who discuss the latest national treatment recommendations and work to determine the most appropriate treatment regimen for the patients whose cases are being presented.
Westerly Hospital offers a patient-oriented Infusion Center staffed by nurses specially trained to administer chemotherapy and blood products delivered in a comfortable environment.
Westerly Hospital’s offers both inpatient and outpatient procedures performed by board-certified surgeons using the latest proven techniques and technologies.
Westerly Hospital’s nationally registered and state licensed Registered Dietitians Nutritionists (RD / RDN) work with you to develop a personalized nutrition plan to help you make sound health choices, and prevent and help control disease.
Clinical Social Work Services
Through the hospital’s Case Management Department, a social worker is available to provide professional, compassionate services and support to help patients and their families cope with their diagnosis and treatment.
Westerly Hospital’s Cancer Registry is a key component of our cancer program. Its ultimate goal is the accurate and timely collection of cancer patient data. These data allow for constant monitoring of patient care and patient outcomes and helps us identify opportunities for improvement.
Westerly Hospital offers comprehensive rehabilitative services provided by staff who are trained to assist cancer patients with many of the side effects of cancer treatment, including “chemo brain”, fatigue, lymphedema, to name just a few.
For more information on cancer services offered at Westerly Hospital, call 401-348-2300 or 1-800-933-5960, extension 3423.