Geriatric Psychiatry Services
When a geriatric assessment identifies a mental condition that requires inpatient hospital care and supervision, Westerly Hospital provides care through our Geriatric Psychiatric Inpatient Program.
Through an 18-bed unit located on the second floor of the hospital, our Geriatric Psychiatric Inpatient program provides acute care to geriatric patients diagnosed with psychiatric symptoms, often in the context of co-occurring medical disorders.
The program primarily treats patients age 55 and older requiring an intensive and safe setting. The assessment and treatment program include crisis intervention, family consultation and rehabilitative intervention.
Our care team
Our care team is skilled at completing comprehensive assessments and intervening in highly complex cases involving medical, psychiatric, functional and psychosocial issues.
The most commonly treated conditions include psychotic disorders, mood disorders and dementias. The most commonly treated functional problems include impaired activities of daily living, cognitive disorganization and disruptive behaviors.
Clinical services may include:
- Medication evaluation and management
- Psychological and brief neuropsychological assessment
- Safety and independent-living skills evaluation
- Crisis-oriented family therapy and psycho-education; caregiver support
- Psychosocial rehabilitation/recreational therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Discharge planning and collaboration with patients' outpatient treaters, families and community agencies